Amazon Ad

Friday, June 05, 2009

The Simpson Conspiracy Cont'd. or Mr. Snrub goes to Hollywood



I'm sure you're well aware by this point that Conan O'Brien has taken over as host of what was already one of the most successful talk-show franchises of all time: The Tonight Show. 54 years the show has been on the air. Leno carried the torch for an impressive 17 himself. And now, it's the dawn of a new era. A time when kids from my generation, The Simpsons generation, as I like to call it, take over. A time when comedy finally makes sense to me at 11:35 PM, something it hadn't done for many many years. Cause let's face it, Leno was great, but Conan is the voice of a new generation. Kind of like Pepsi. Well, maybe Pepsi Clear.

Anyway, as we all may or may not know, Conan O'Brien graduated from Harvard, wrote for the Harvard Lampoon, and after a short lived gig in LA, worked on SNL before moving back out west to write for The Simpsons.



The reason I mention this, of course, save for being totally awesome, is that I've had a long living theory about those syndicated Simpsons reruns Fox shows every night at 6 PM, 7:30 PM, and again at 11 PM. Ever since 9/11 when I saw 2 reruns of Simpsons episodes so specifically chosen there was no chance they just happened to "air that day," I've had a sneaking suspicion that someone very Simpsons-savvy is behind who chooses them. In the first, a helicopter crashed into a building and in the second, Marge had a fear of flying. This seemed odd to me at the time, and lead me to develop a conspiracy theory about all of the Simpsons reruns we see. Since then I've witnessed several instances where the reruns that aired have specifically coincided with the current events and news of that day.



My theory was further confirmed Monday night at 11 PM PST when Fox chose to air "Marge vs. the Monorail," the episode that is widely known as being written by Conan O'Brien. His voice comes through the characters so clearly, it's easy to identify it as Conan's work.

But that's not the point! The point is that on the day Conan was set to take over The Tonight Show- literally 30 minutes before it aired, Fox aired a Conan-written episode. Coincidence? I think not. So as you sit there, watching your Simpsons, taking bong hits, remember: there could be more at play there than you could ever imagine.

No comments: