Amazon Ad

Friday, April 03, 2009

Some Words of Wisdom from Ben Affleck



No, no, I'm not kidding. To be quite honest, I actually really like the guy. Always have. Good Will Hunting was the film that made me realize I wanted to move to LA and make entertainment my life. And his role in that film? Well, it's hard to say any man can't relate to it: a broken, grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side day laborer with a heart of gold, unwaivering dedication to his male friends, and with a willingness to settle for structure in his life over happiness. We've all be there. Recently, Affleck was interviewed in Esquire magazine, and what he said really hit home with me. Hope you enjoy:

My experience with becoming an adult is, you come to this place where you see that you have this set of beliefs. And you run up against things that kind of defy that. You get into a situation where there isn't one simple answer and all the arrogance, all the surety of youth is either thrown back at you or is fucked up and very hard to manage, and it's impossible to know whether you did the right thing or the wrong thing. It's about being disabused of this idea that there's a stone-cold right and wrong. The guy makes this choice, and he's trying to correct himself from another choice he's made, you know, the way we do, where we get reeled along, when it's a little out of control, one thing you did piling on top of another. You have to reckon.


Well put, Mr. Affleck, and especially startling as I realized yesterday that I, too, am getting old.

Hope everyone has a marvelous weekend!

No comments: