Amazon Ad

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oasis: still a mirage to me

We're like the Beatles, but much more pompus. Oh, and not as talented.

Earlier today, I read an article from the Associated Press that left me a bit miffed. Apparently, Oasis is still talking, even though they haven't put out a new record in quite some time. 2006 to be exact. Yet somehow, these windbags still have something to say. I'll let you be the judge, but suffice it to say they ain't too happy with Jay-Z.

British music festival is criticized for inviting Jay-Z


Tue Apr 15, 2:29 PM ET

Organizers of one of Britain's best-known music festivals on Tuesday defended their decision to book Jay-Z as their headline act after Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher blamed the U.S. rapper for disappointing ticket sales.

The outdoor Glastonbury festival is a cornerstone of Britain's music calendar. But this year's festival has yet to sell out, in contrast to past years when tickets were snapped up within hours.

Gallagher, whose band headlined the festival in 1995 and 2004, said rap was to blame.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Gallagher said in an interview, an audio of which was posted to the British Broadcasting Corp.'s Web site Monday. "If you break it, people ain't gonna go. I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? ... No chance." He explained that the inclusion of a hip-hop act went against the festival's tradition of guitar music, adding: "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. No way. No. It's wrong."

Glastonbury Festival co-organizer Emily Eavis said the 38-year-old festival had a long history of attracting rap acts, including Cypress Hill and The Roots. She said the media stir over Gallagher's comments revealed an "innate conservatism" in some sectors of British society.

"There is also an interesting undercurrent in the suggestion that a black, U.S. hip-hop artist shouldn't be playing in front of what many perceive to be a white, middle-class audience. I'm not sure what to call it, at least not in public, but this is something that causes me some disquiet," she said in an article published Tuesday in The Independent newspaper.

Eavis said she thought Jay-Z was "absolutely the right act" for the festival.

___

On the Net:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/


Whatchu talkin bout Oasis?

My thoughts? I'm glad you asked. Oasis needs to shut their faces and put out a new album that shatters every record in it's path. It needs to go quadruple platinum, and the single has to be one of the greatest songs every written, or at least the one most-widely-listened to. Something along the lines of Happy Birthday or, Oops I did it again. Either that, or this 'Gallagher' fellow needs to return to what he knows best: smashing watermelons with a sledgehammer.

I can't stand when people run their mouths just for press, but I'm doing the same thing here, so I guess I can't really complain. But to me, if I was British, I think I'd say something like, PLEASE QUIT SPEAKING ON MY BEHALF. After all, the U.K. has brought us some fantastic hip hop acts like The Streets and The Herbaliser. Now, I'm not so much a 'streets' fan, but then again, you don't hear Prodigy saying how much they hate the Spice Girls reunion tour either.

Just some things to ponder on this, the day of our bored.

No comments: