Amazon Ad

Monday, September 17, 2007

The 2007 Emmy's: how could they get any worse?

Aside from the fact that Family Guy clearly and maliciously bashed the show I work for (in the above video, 2nd verse of the song), I had high hopes for this years Emmy broadcast. Between the end of an era with the Sopranos, the beginning of a new era with 30Rock, and Kathy Griffin's acceptance speech, I thought this years could be the best ever. I was more wrong than I could have ever expected.



Right from the start I knew we were in trouble. Fox's cross promotional BS extravaganza started rolling down hill as soon as Seacrest called it an American Idol results show. Not to mention the fact that they put the show in the round. The hope behind this, of course, was that people would pay attention, as they would be on screen the entire time. But what they didn't tell us is that they didn't put any presenters or nominees in the back. Rather, they reserved those seats for the nominees agents, managers, and signifigant others. Quite ridiculous if you ask me. At one point, after James Spader beat James Galdolfini (don't even get me started), he commented, "you know, I've been to 1000 concerts, and these are the worst seats I've ever had."

But between Family guy kicking it off, Wayne Brady coming out to talk about his show, and Seacrest making Idol jokes, it was clear that Fox had given up on the idea of doing anything worthwhile. Rather, they just thrust as much of their own bull shit propaganda into the show, making it feel cheaper than ever.

There was some good to come out of the show...Sopranos was recognized as best drama, and perhaps the most shocking (but the most satisfying), 30Rock won for best Comedy. It's about freaking time we got some payback as Sally Field beat- again, BEAT Edie Falco for best female actress in a drama.

I won't prattle on about the ceremony, or who wore what, or even how pissed I am, but what I will say is that at 9:30 last night, when I realized the show was only half over, I wanted to blow my brains out.

I'll close by saying that the biggest injustice last evening was that America Ferrera beat out Tina Fey, Julia Louise-Dreyfus, and Mary Louise-Parker for best actress in a comedy series. But Ugly Betty is an hour long show on a network that wouldn't know funny if it slapped them in the tits. NEWSFLASH HOLLYWOOD: If it's an hour long, I don't care how funny it is...it's a drama. This is the same thing that happened a few years ago when Desperate Housewives beat Arrested Development for best comedy. Desperate Housewives is NOT a comedy. Anyone who calls it one, or Ugly Betty for that matter, is less than intelligent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being malicious here, but that's a tricky thing for a network to do. It's a cheap ploy for ratings and awards because shows like that don't fall into a category. And maybe it's just me, but that means 1 of 2 things: either it has to be put into the category that 'best' suits it, which is BS, or HEY- it doesn't get nominated for an award! And would that really be so bad? Does Ugly Betty really need an award? Plenty of idiots will watch it either way.

1 comment:

Grog Blog V2.6 advanced said...

Scott,

You couldn't be more right. I work for FOX and they honestly dropped the ball BIG TIME. Not only did they waste our time with pointless and, dare I say it, unfunny bits that stole the show away from those it was created to honor. In typical FOX style they degraded the show and wasted everyone's time. The last 30 (45 minutes) was so rushed that none of the most important awards of the night were given the time they deserved. Instead we were forced to watch 2+ hours of crap only to watch the best part be rushed through like Lindsay Lohan through a red light.

I agree with everything you said. It is a bunch of crap that America Ferrera won the award for best lead actress in a comedy... she doesn't make jokes, people make them about her. She was the sentimental favorite in Hollywood where they have their heads so far up their asses they vote for the "feel good" candidate rather than one that actually deserves it.

Those of us who work in TV realize what a piece of trash this award show was, and it kind of make me ashamed to work for FOX. But we push off the "piss poor" ratings and move on to the Fall Season and forget the Emmy's ever happened.

Thanks for writing Scott!