Amazon Ad

Thursday, May 25, 2006

its just another sad blog post, rockin my brain like crazy

Greetings all! Its been a while since I've had time to sit down and do a regular old blog post. My weekly column, album of the week, just went into it's 6th week, and to be honest, I sort of have been looking at that post as the one I MUST do, ergo its the only one I've been making time for...anyway, I hope you all have given that phoenix CD a listen, its brilliant...sure to be one of the best this year, and I was glad to break a review on it before many of the commercial music sites (although for posterity's sake, pitchforkmedia gave it an 8.0 (a good rating for their elitist site (which can be found in the links to the right.)))

But I digress...

There are a few loose ends I would like to tie up, and this seems like a good forum to do so. And if you're extra nice and patient, you may get a laugh at the end.

First of all, congrats to Taylor Hicks...he definetely will be the first commercial superstar of the Idol franchise. And I don't mean sell 5 million, I mean superstar. Like the reason the show was made. Although I gotta say, I had the McPheever when she was up there with Meatloaf. That was the best duet of the night, and a great way to set up Taylor to sing with none other than Toni Braxton. Did anyone see him touch her boob? It was funny. I think Toni's voice actually went up an octave or 2 into actual female range lol.

I've gone to the movies the past three weekends...something that has been less and less common with us as we seem to get new screeners every week. But for those of you who avoid opening weekends like the plague, here's some reviews for you.

M:I:3
Lost seems to get more confusing by the minute, but we all can agree that the action on that show leaves our hearts pounding and wanting more. The same can be said about M:I:3. JJ Abrams directorial prowess is not in question here, the movie quite literally flew by, and when it was over, I thought it had just started. 2 hours went by more quickly than many movies I can remember seeing. That's a sign of a good film. Not that I have any real ground to speak on here, I mean...Tom Cruise is always going to be Tom Cruise...the man can't play a single character again without everyone saying, hey tom cruise is in this one. Where are the scientology metaphors? Anyway, it was a fun flick. And I'm sure it was much better on the big screen.

grade: B+

Poseidon
Well, they got the first 3 letters right P-O-S. Yeah, and it was. Richard Dreyfus as a homosexual who just got out of a tough relationship? Yeah, sure thing man. And that's all I really want to say.

except...

a movie like Poseidon is one you go to see for the giant wave and the chaos that ensues. I won't give anything away, but I will say that when the ship finally goes under, all the predictables live, and there are actually other boats visible in the background of the closing shot of the movie. Why they didn't help will be a mystery the screen will never reveal.

grade: D- (hey, the only things that get F-ed are girls. oh, and guys. girls for me tho.)

The Da Vinci Code
Easily the most anticipated of all the summer blockbusters, it left me disappointed and wishing I didn't sit through it. It was bad. Not true to the book (duh, ya think?), and quite boring. Also, Ian McKellan's character, or Sir Teabing if you prefer, had this computer that can do more than humans...yeah, seems legit to me.

grade: C-

******************

Arrested Development is over as we know, but many of us have clung to the possibilty of a feature or something- ANYTHING!!! Well, its for sure over, and here's why...follow the link and let the tears roll.

  • The Garage Sale


  • yeah, I was sad too.

    And finally, a little industry humor. When a film or TV show is set in another time than the present, it is called a period piece. But what if it was a gorry horror movie? Would someone say, "We need more period blood?" Not like menstral, but you know...from the era.

    yes, I am funny. I mean sick. Sick.

    No comments: