Amazon Ad

Sunday, May 21, 2006

album of the week- week 5



Phoenix- It's Never Been Like That

There could be no more of an apt title than that. This band has truly never sounded this way, but its clear that they've done so intentionally. For those of you who don't know the history behind, or listen to Phoenix at all...well, you're in for a treat. Save for their live album, which I'm sure Astralwerks just made them release as part of their deal, they don't miss. Their previous 2 efforts "United" and "Alphabetical" are 2 of my favorite albums, blending sounds of rock and roll, dance, and elextronica into a power pop driven framework that their lead singer's voice hover's above like a halo. They don't miss.

This album is no exception, and quickly has earned the highest rating I've ever given. But please don't be confused. This is an indie album. And these guys aren't indie rockers by any means. But its almost as if they took the concept of an indie album and made something much much greater. I am still in awe. I've listened to this album probably 40 times in the last week, and still have yet to get bored of it. They really just nailed it this time, as this album should be remembered as one of the best of the year.

And I hope you people know that I don't review albums in a conventional way. I look for music you all may have missed, or not heard about in hopes that everyone becomes as affected as I am when something good comes my way. No I don't talk about crescendos or the mirroring sounds from the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds." Cause I don't know. I listen to music I like, and I share it. This is one that you should not over look.

Keep your eyes out, it hits shelves this tuesday, May 23.

Download: Sometimes in the Fall

Rating: 10 / 10

No comments: