Amazon Ad

Saturday, May 06, 2006

album of the week- week 3

The Fray- How to Save a Life

I suppose it's only apropriate that I dedicate a week or two to actual musicians making music. Because yes, DJs are awesome, and electronica is still my number one genre...or whatever...right now, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten that I used to make music with bands, actually playing instruments and keeping an ensemble in sync. Sidebar: seeing the phrase in sync seems odd to me now that those boys in n'sync are/were (definetely were) a pop group.

In any event, week 3's band the fray is just that. A chance for me to reconnect to the 1000s of readers I have alienated over the past few weeks with my electronica babble. Well, these guys are just about the opposite. They're basically just a british coldplay rip off group...who many say is really just a U2 rip off group. And I say U2 sucks, save for about 1 album in-total of good songs, but I like coldplay a lot- the bulk of thier catalogue. So go figure. Its like, we can beat the reds, and the reds can beat the astros, but the redbirds always seem to choke dick when they're confronted by the astros, those bastards.

In any event, this album is nothing short of epic pop music. Most notably track 2, entitled "Over My Head (Cable Car)" which is getting a shit ton of radio play. Good for them. This is radio friendly music. Track 3, whose name is also the album title, is the same way. Very entertainment friendly. It actually graced the show scrubs recently...if anyone saw the episode where the rabies patient came in and infected everyone that she gave her organs to. John C Mcginley was great in that episode. He typically is. Anyway, I am digressing.

This album is no surprises pop rock. Keane. Athlete. Coldplay. If that's what you want...if those are bands you like, then its for you. And please don't confuse me calling this pop rock and you thinking its some emo band or the strokes. It's not. This is literally just a rock album that tends to fall under adult contemporary. In Any event, great driving music for Los Angeles, crusing up the coast, and watching the waves come rolling in. Also, very OC music, so that should make the teens cream.

Rating: 6 / 10 *

*I would also like to note that every album I post is one that I really like. Hopefully you all know that a 6/10 is good. There are thousands and thousands of bands out there that really suck. I mean really really suck. Maybe someday I'll share a few of them with you. But for now, there's just so much good music, that I can't.

No comments: